The History of St. Etheldreda with St. Clement, Fulham

Above: St. Etheldreda

St. Ethledreda

THE REVD. FREDERICK EDMESTON FREESE

1917-1928: The First World War

Fr. Freese had spent time as a missionary In Japan, as Vicar of Wittlesey and then Chaplain at Wiesbaden before coming to St Etheldreda's. He came at a difficult time with the Great War drawing to a close. When the war memorial was placed, it contained the names of 113 men who had not returned. Never again would Fulham church-going attain the heights achieved before the war. Fr Freese devoted much to Improving and beautifying the church. The Bishop of London gave a picture by Benjamin West, Christ Healing the Sick, as a reredos. Some of the changes at this time can be seen from the photographs. Electric light replaced candles and gas. During his time as Vicar the first Parochial Church Council came into being, following legislation in 1919. The parish church, which had had a branch of the English Church Union since 1900, was one of the congress churches at the great Anglo-Catholic Congresses of 1920, 1923, and 1927. Fr Freese retired at the end of 1928. He died at his son's in Ireland In 1935, and was buried at Putney Vale.

<< Back to History <<